You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jennifer81" started this thread

Reg: Mar 16th 2010

Tuesday, March 16th 2010, 10:36pm

Tingling sensation across upper back??!!

Hi i'm new on here and wanted to ask if anyone who's breastfeeding gets a tingling across their shoulder blade area? My LO is 13 weeks and this has happened for the past 2 weeks. It's very random throughout the day but is getting more frequent. It doesn't coincide with feeds but could it be related to bf or lack of sleep! ? It's not painful but very annoying.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 16th 2010, 10:58pm

Hi Jennifer!

Welcome to the site....!

That's a strange one. Not something I've ever experienced myself and can't say that I've ever heard of it.

Some women get strange feelings in their upper body during the let down reflex. That can extend up to the face, neck, arms etc.... but I haven't heard of it in the shoulders. That's not to say it can't happen!!

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Tuesday, March 16th 2010, 11:55pm

Hi Jennifer,
I'd say if it doesn't coincide with feeding, then it's not connected. Does it feel a bit like pins-and-needles? Maybe something in your posture is causing a bit of pressure on a nerve, like when you knock your funny bone and get tingling down your fingers. A physio or chiropractor would be able to tell you.

JENSQUI

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 8:35am

Hi there! I had this kind of sensation whilst in hospital 4 days after birth whilst using the breast pump. I was worried in case it was linked to the epidural i had but had not had any other odd sensations in the days directly following labour. Roughly 12 hours later milk finally came in and the sensation stopped so i did think it may have been linked to my breasts in some way. About 4 weeks ago - so a month after that - s started to get a kind of wave of tingling in around my right shoulder blade. It is sort of where my breast would be if it was on my back - is yours in the same place? It isn't there all of the time and i don't get it every day. Never seems to be linked to when i have been sitting or lifting. My partner reckons i an just putting pressure on my back somewhere that i haven't done before, now that my lifestyle has changed a bit. It is the sensation that i had in hospital that makes of think it may be related to breast feeding but i haven't seen anyone about it. Would be interested to know if you see anyone about your tingling. X

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

• "jennifer81" started this thread

Reg: Mar 16th 2010

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 9:15am

Yeah Jensqui it where my brests would be on by back! I have starting doing a little physical work so maybe it is connected with that. I feel a little silly going to docs as it's not painful or obstructing .. !

JENSQUI

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 9:32am

Me too which is why i haven't seen a dr! From a physiological point of view there must be nerves in the back which connect to the breasts so is possibly related. Now i have found someone else who thinks it might have something to do with Breastfeeding i am intrigued! I have a good friend who is a physiotherapist so will ask her if she can find out anything.

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Grace

Involuntary insomniac

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 11:25am

Did your breasts get lots bigger? could it be that they have pulled you out of your usual posture and a nerve is getting compressed somewhere? Or it could be carrying a LO round.

1st IVF/ICSI April 09 BFP

GRACE'S DIARY

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 11:41am

Could it also be that your breasts have changed shape and your bra doesn't fit properly any more?

Jen, I like your comment that your lifestyle has changed 'a bit'! Try 'beyond all recognition'!

JENSQUI

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 12:03pm

I've been regularly fitted and buying new bras since Martha arrived so don;t think it is that. Other than an increase in cup size there hasn't actually been a change....have had more of a difference when I have gained or lost weight! from an activity level i don;t feel that much has changed really....hours still spent sitting down but with something attached to my boob rather than in front of a computer! cannot wait for her to get quicker at feeding as sadly don't find breastfeeding a lovely bonding experience but lengthy and frankly quite dull!!!never get bored of playing / chatting / singing with her even though it is repetitive and she can't do much right now. thought i would enjoy the feeding too but would have gone insane by now without radio 4 and a charity shop full of books close by!

BFP Jun 08 - early loss

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 12:10pm

Mmm.... thinking about it, my sister still suffers from a dodgy shoulder since feeding her babies while holding them (rather than having them supported). Both 'babies' are now in secondary school.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 12:12pm

I know what you mean Jen, can be quite isolating too I found and I have no patience with daytime TV. It gets better when they get more efficient at draining a boob. I know it probably feels like she is part of the furniture but she is still very new.

JENSQUI

Wednesday, March 17th 2010, 12:19pm

i don't hold her Bells... never got a good position that way and wasn;t able to hold her in the early days because of the carpal tunnel. I use a widgey cushion which puts her at the perfect height for my breasts and when out I bolst her up with blankets....I am sure it is something to do with a pressure point on my back...probably because i sit nice and upright now when feeding which I didn't do at my desk :snigger:

BFP Jun 08 - early loss